Feb 22, 2009

Loni's Black and White Photography

I am posting pictures that I have taken for my black and white photography class, every week he assigns a subject matter and you have to expose one roll of 36 exposures, develop the negatives, make a contact sheet (which is a page that shows all of the pics on that roll) and then blow up two pictures and develop them. Its really cool cuz I have improved a ton, and its really fun to develop negatives and pics. So besides the obvious that I have learned, I have also learned how to make pictures blury on purpose as you will see, and what aperature and shutter to use to stop really fast moving objects, but mostly I have learned to pay attention to lighting and what makes a good pictures, where to center it (cuz most pictures actually look better off center) and the biggest one for me was to pay attention to other things besides the main object. As in I am finally learning to look at the background of every picture so that the whole picture is asthetically pleasing. Oh yeah so last week we had to turn in our midterm project, which was our favorite two pictures from each assignment, they were to be perfectely centered on the 8x10 sheet with no dust and proper array of whites and blacks and grays. So below are the ten that I turned in.

The first week was Edge of Frame I actally have 3 for this one, the first two are obvious but the one with jordan in the carr is actually a really good one because his head is perfectly within the frame but on the edge and the ceiling of the car frames his face perfectly and leads your eye to the stearing wheel which is also perfectly next to the next edge of the pic. I had to manually lighten his shirt for this one because it came out too dark in the negative but I made it look white.

The next assignment was depth of field, which is basically making some objects look closer to the camera by the way you take it and others look farther away, some blury and some clear.

Then there was quality of light, which was just playing with lighting, I learned the most from this assignment I think.

Then movement or exposure times, so the teacher really likes these ones and in general I do not really care for them, its supposed to be the art of showing movement in a still pictures, as you can see with the car you can imagine that something was moving, thats what the blur shows, howeverI dont care for blury people even if it is artistic. the second one was showing motion stopped, and this guy was running full speed about 2 feet from the camera so its pretty cool that I shot the pic perfectly to get him on the numbers and stopped his motion so that he is not blury.

The last one was texgture and reflection, the one is texture of the building and the clouds, I had to really darken the sky on this one so you could see the texture of the sky, and then its a reflection of myself taking a picture of myself, so it was a three way mirror, notice the camera in the relctions is perfectly next to the edge.

Anyway I love this class, its really fun, and it actually is pretty hard to get pictures to develop prefectly with perfect negatives first and then to get the lighting good in the dark room with no dust spots, i had to redo 5 of these about 2-3 times before I got them perfect, mostly becuase I was manually changing them, but alot of the time it was just stupid dust spots on the negatives that show up really bad on the pic once its done.

No comments:

About Me

We are both students at the University of Pittsburgh in the Neuroscience program. We graduate April 26 2009!! Loni is 23 and Jordan is 24. Jordan would like to be a doctor in the Air Force...as a career and has just finished applying to medical schools. I am pregnant and ready to be a little mom. We are both way to ready to graduate. Jordan is working as the Tech guy for the University's Jazz band, which he loves. I am currently working as a computer consultant on campus...its a very easy job, very school friendly. Jordan is the Gospel principles teacher in our ward and I am the new second counselor in the Young womens, so I am over the Beehives. Jordan does great at his calling and loves to "vent", and I love mine, the beehives are awesome...definitely the best ones of the pick. On the side we are both landlords, which is turning out to be a cinch so far.